Home
Virtual Image Printer DriverMiraplacid Publisher converts documents to images
Virtual Text Printer DriverMiraplacid Text Driver extracts text from documents
Miraplacid Data ViewerMiraplacid Data Viewer - access to internal structure of a binary file
Miraplacid Text ViewerMiraplacid Text Viewer - access to internal structure of a text file
Common:   Login | Rules of forum | Register
Management:  New topic | Close topic | Move topic | Delete topic

Miraplacid Forum >> Virtual Printer Drivers >> Network PrinterModerator:Cerberus

Author Topic:  Network Printer
hobart

posted 2003-06-12 06:23:28 Reply -Delete

I am having trouble printing to a networked Printer. I have defined my priner in NPCONFIG and have created a Setup_file to control its printing, however The first line of my Setup file prints on my printouts and therefore the form is off by 1 line. Why is this happening and how can I suppress the first line from printing.
My First line in the Setup file is: \EZ\EE
This prints on the top left side of the page along with a string of 00001000 on the top right side on line 1.

thanks for your help+

Aux Dee

posted 2003-06-12 06:24:30 Reply -Delete

Have you defined it in sysgen or are you using some other 3rd party spooler package?

Matt

posted 2003-06-12 06:24:55 Reply -Delete

Hello hobart,

"00001000" is the line number generated by EDITOR. Keep the file unnumbered, restart the spooler, and this will disappear.

The setup file may contain PCL or PJL-- "\EZ\EE" is not PCL... are you trying to add escape Z and escape E? There is no need-- the MPE network spooler always will send the PJL Universal Exit Language (UEL) command and the effect on the printer is very similar to an escape E. Escape Z (disable display functions mode) also is not needed. If the command and syntax are valid, the printer will recognize it and there will be no logical cursor movement. If the command is not valid, the printer will print the text.

hobart

posted 2003-06-12 06:27:55 Reply -Delete

Hello Aux Dee & Matt

Dee, I'm using sysgen to control the spool

Matt, i'm a bit of a novice, therfore first of all how do I keep the file unnumbered in editor?
Also, yes I was trying to send some escape sequences to the printer. I copied the \EZ\EE from somewhere. I thought that was how to do it. Basically, all I need to do is send some type of command to the printer to rotate the printing because for some reason when I print to these network printers the printing is done landscape style.
how exactly do I create my setup-file?
thanks+

Matt

posted 2003-06-12 06:28:41 Reply -Delete

Hello hobart,

To keep the file unnumber while in EDITOR, add ",unn" on the end of your KEEP command:

1 blah, blah
2 //
/keep npconfig.pub.sys,unn

If a setup_file does not exist, then the spooler's default initialization of the printer includes the PCL command to set the printer to landscape. You can create a setup_file with other PCL commands (i.e. set orientation to portrait), OR just create a blank setup_file:

:editor
HP32201A.09.00 EDIT/3000 FRI, JAN 31, 2003, 8:31 AM
(C) HEWLETT-PACKARD CO. 1993
/a
2 //
/keep blank.hpenv.sys,unn
/e

END OF SUBSYSTEM
:

Then assign that file to your device in npconfig:

HP32201A.09.00 EDIT/3000 FRI, JAN 31, 2003, 8:33 AM
/t npconfig.pub.sys
FILE UNNUMBERED

/l all
1 19 (network_address = 15.56.222.10)
/m1
MODIFY 1
19 (network_address = 15.56.222.10)
d
19 (network_address = 15.56.222.10

/a
2 setup_file = blank.hpenv.sys)
3 //
/keep npconfig.pub.sys,unn

and then restart the spooler to force it to reread npconfig. Now the spooler will send ONLY your setup_file (even a blank file) to initialize the printer. If the setup_file is blank, then the effect is the same as if there were no initialization, and it is up to the printer's front panel settings to determine font, orientation, etc.

I hope that helps.

hobart

posted 2003-06-12 06:31:14 Reply -Delete

Hi Matt..

amazing. It works! finally.
Just one more thing, the top of the page is too low for the report I am printing. what can I put in the setup_file to adjust it?

thanks again.

Matt

posted 2003-06-12 06:31:38 Reply -Delete

Hello hobart,

The top of the page is too low? Do you mean the first line of text is too far from the top edge of the paper? It should be starting on the first line (for a typical LaserJet, that would be about 1/4 inch from the top edge).

If not, then you might add the PCL command to set the top margin to zero:

ESC&l0E

where ESC is the escape key... easiest way to enter this into a file:

HP32201A.09.00 EDIT/3000 MON, FEB 3, 2003, 8:36 AM
/a
1 ~&l0E
2 //
/change "~" to '27 in all
/keep zeromarg.hpenv.sys,unn
/e

END OF SUBSYSTEM
:

And then use zeromarg.hpenv.sys for the setup_file (modify npconfig, and restart the spooler).

Your message:
Name, password:
Go to category:  

Technical Support

Copyright © Miraplacid, 2003 - 2024